Nov 25, 2008

Tony Sasso responds

Click title for story link. Check out comments to the story on the site. October 30, 2008 A few months ago, the Orlando Sentinel endorsed me in the February special election saying, "Mr. Sasso has the experience and command of the issues facing the district. . . . He's been a champion of managed growth . . ."While I wasn't surprised that the Sentinel endorsed my developer opponent for Florida House District 32, it is my belief that the issue of commuter rail, as now proposed, was the deciding factor in the endorsement. I am a proponent of How Shall We Grow, which includes commuter rail. And while I made this clear, I also said we should consider going back to the table to make sure we get the best deal for everyone, not just for CSX.There are many issues that are as important, or more important, to the citizens of District 32, including education, jobs, taxes, insurance and the environment.In seven months as a representative, I have been an independent voice, often crossing party lines, working for my constituents, not lobbyists. As a freshman, I received awards from the teachers, League of Conservation Voters, Association of Counties and the Marine Resources Council. I have been endorsed by the NRA, police and fire organizations, teachers, nurses, aerospace workers and the Sierra Club. These are citizen groups that know that I listen to and work for the public.