Sep 3, 2008

Train Derails in Tipp City

Click title for story link A train pulls out from the station yard in Walbridge, Ohio, a village just south east of Toledo. Two locomotives pull 73 freight cars towards Cincinnati, making its way through the early morning hours past Lima, Sidney, Wapakoneta and Troy before coming to the Crane’s Road Crossing when something goes terribly wrong. Joe Bell, a Crane Road resident awoke early on that Saturday morning. “It’s just a fluke I guess.” Joe recounted. “I heard the train blowing like crazy and I noticed it was running long and loud, which was odd because you could tell the train was going really slow. I got up and a minute or two went by and there was this really loud banging sound. I didn’t give it a whole lot of thought at first and then I heard more noises. That told me that something was wrong, so I looked out the window and I saw the train, but it didn’t look like it was moving down the tracks anymore…but the cars were moving, but I think it was more of a rocking motion than a forward motion.”